Aloha Intruder Family and Friends
For the record, last week on Sunday the 19th, I went on a solo ride around the island, I was counting other riders that were out as well. From Mililani to Haleiwa I counted 22 other motorcycles on the road, plus two that were pulled over, assuming they were having technical issues. From Haleiwa to Kaneohe, my count went to over one hundred riders on the road, and I stopped counting. I made my one and only stop around Makapuu, where I spent a few minutes enjoying the view, and hydrating. I was all alone, well surpassing the six feet of isolation that was being suggested. I continued on, passing Sandy Beach and then unexpectedly being turned around at the first lookout point, not sure why, but just following directions. Instead, I got on Kealahou Street and got myself back onto Kaianianaole Highway heading west. Then I headed home to Mililani, feeling better and knowing that I wasn’t the only one missing my Sunday rides.
Okay, after last week’s ride, I decided to go out again this Sunday. But this time I was not riding alone. I met up with Kimo, the Intruder VP and Henry at the gas station in Mililani. Yes, it is the same Bat Station, and same Bat Time. Our usual meeting place, Zippy’s on Dillingham is boarded up and no longer open. Since it would just be the three of us, we didn’t waste time. Just hopped on our bikes and headed towards Haleiwa. The weather was perfect, just enough cloud cover to keep us from overheating, and a gentle breeze to send us on our way. The first stop was at Kaiaka Bay Beach Park, now open, and being watched by our local PD. There were at least a dozen cars parked throughout the park, with people walking around, and some surfers enjoying the waves. We didn’t linger long, just enough to decide on our next stop, and admire the view for a few minutes. As we were exiting the park, three police officers arrived on ATVs, apparently having some type of business to attend to.
Our next stop would be the Sugar Mill in Kahuku. From Haleiwa to there, we passed more riders than I could keep track of, even some other clubs were out enjoying the day. With the city and county parks being reopened, there were a lot more people on the roads, and quite a few enjoying the beaches. The surf was up, so there were plenty of surfers out enjoying the waves. We arrived at the Sugar Mill to find about a dozen other riders taking a break, as well. Kimo being the VP approached the other riders, sharing the aloha, while keeping the distance required. Everyone seemed in good spirits, appreciating the day, and being back on the road again. We decided our next stop would be Kualoa Regional Park, got back on our bikes, and headed there.
The weather continued to be cooperative and we enjoyed the ride, with minimum traffic. As we reached the entrance to the park, I couldn’t help but notice a lot more riders out. There were a few clubs already there, milling around and doing their thing. Though I wasn’t seeing a lot of social distancing, at least most of them were wearing some sort of masks. Once again, Kimo did his meet and greet from a distance, and Henry and I just stayed put, and gave the shaka. I walked out towards the beach, where I enjoyed the view of Chinaman’s Hat. We were making a lot more stops then we usually do, but who am I to complain. I was just happy to be out riding again. So, our next stop would be at the Jack-In-The-Box in Waimanalo. We hopped back on our bikes, and continued on our journey around the island. We took main roads and back roads, straight aways and curvy ways. It didn’t really matter which way we went, we were all just out there doing what we love to do, ride.
As we approached the next stop in Waimanalo, we came upon a hoard of mopeds that were gathered around the gas station there. I couldn’t believe my eyes, there were literally fifty, maybe more of them. We pulled in, went around and parked next to the Jack-In-The-Box, right next to the policeman, who was also parked there. I wasn’t sure what to make of this strange occurance, and figured that this was just a random moped club out on a ride, just like us? Well, we decided to stay and grab a bite to eat, and yes we kept our distance from the moped riders and each other. Our bikes were parked at least six feet apart, though that was probably unnecessary. After a quick bite to eat, we decided our last stop would be Sandy Beach. But before we left, we witnessed the mopeds depart. It was extraordinary that none of them ran into each other. They left in what felt like a multitude of sounds, and exhausts that I can’t say was enjoyable on any level, but to each their own.
We rode on to Sandy Beach, where once again we came upon more motorcycle clubs. They also seemed to be out enjoying the day, with some wearing masks, and some not. We spent a few minutes talking and catching up with each other. Then we said our goodbyes and took off for home.
I suppose that we all determine the amount of risks that we want to take, and for that freedom, I will continue to be grateful for. The fact that I’m healthy and able to ride at my age, seems too good to be true. I am taking this Coronavirus seriously, and trying to do the right things, like wear a mask, wash my hands, stay six feet apart, and whatever else is necessary. Yet, I find that riding a motorcycle has and continues to be a form of therapy for me. It has kept me sane and in touch with the fragility of life, which for me is important. I don’t know how long we are all going to be doing this social distancing, but on a motorcycle, I always stay at least six feet apart from others. May the Gods continue to watch over each and everyone of you, keeping you, your family and friends healthy and safe.

Warmest Aloha,
Leslie aka Kanuk